POSITION;RESEARCH OFFICER, TANZANIA
Reports to: Research Manager
Contract duration: 6 months (with possible extension)
Salary: Competitive within Tanzanian NGO market rates
Candidates should send their CV and a covering letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English to firstname.lastname@example.org . The name of the position applied for should be included in the subject line of the email.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate covering letter will not be considered. Please only apply if you meet the basic criteria under the person specification. This is a local post applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania. ‘National terms and conditions will apply’.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Application deadline: Friday 9 January 2015 by 5pm
The Research Officer will support the Research Manager in the co-ordination and implementation of research on governance and accountability. As a member of a global team of research and communications practitioners, the officer will have the opportunity to contribute to the research and learning group’s work on the synthesis as well as the analysis of best practice for BBC Media Action’s projects around the world.
She/he will liaise with local partners and programme participants to design, coordinate and conduct research activities and will have primary responsibility for local research administration. Activities will include conducting interviews/audits of media organisations, moderating focus groups, analysing qualitative and quantitative data, reporting and disseminating information, and evaluating the impact of the project. He/she will be expected to work flexibly across a range of genres and across all media, irrespective of their area of specialism, in line with business need and to positively develop their understanding of the wider media development environment. He/she will make sure that all activities are implemented in a timely and effective manner.
• To support in the design of research for training projects and mass media campaigns, comprising of formative research as well as pre-testing of media materials, and impact evaluation.
• To support the commissioning and monitoring of all research inputs (e.g. quantitative KAP studies, focus group sessions, case studies, etc.) whilst working to budget and deadline requirements.
• To conduct focus group discussions, listener group sessions and in-depth interviews in the field.
• Liaison with in-country field agencies to monitor quality control and the timely delivery of research projects.
• To support the Research Manager in overseeing quantitative and qualitative research activities.
• To support the analyses of qualitative and quantitative data research findings to senior managers of BBC Media Action, in-country Project Managers, donor organisations, government agencies.
• To work closely with the Research Manager to liaise with project audience research teams and field agencies in-country to oversee the implementation of studies, monitoring quality control, budget and timely delivery of research outputs.
• To support the implementation of any ad hoc quantitative and qualitative research for the research project under the supervision of the Research Manager.
Required skills, knowledge and experience:
• Fluent in English and Swahili with ability to write reports and scripts in these languages
• Experience in working for an international development organisation and/or in the field of research.
• Knowledge of and a willingness to learn about qualitative research (focus groups, interviews etc.) and/or quantitative (surveys) research techniques
• Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately both to colleagues and research participants.
• Excellent attention to detail with the ability to work swiftly and accurately under pressure
• Ability to select relevant data, identify key trends, issues and solutions.
• Ability to think logically, take an analytical approach, critically evaluate ideas and interpret information from different sources
• Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner organisations
• Ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and work as a member of a team, demonstrating good interpersonal skills
• Good IT skills, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and ideally statistical software such as SPSS
• Self-motivated and willing to learn using own initiative, demonstrating a proactive approach and ability to deliver on time and brief without close supervision
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills: responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities, planning/prioritising activities and tailoring outputs effectively taking deadlines and resources into account
• Excellent diplomatic skills: ability to conduct business at high levels of government and media
• Ability to operate effectively in a difficult environment
Desired skills, knowledge and experience:
• In-depth working knowledge of nutrition issues in Tanzania, especially in the field of behaviour change communication
• An understanding of/or enthusiasm to learn about communication strategies, media formats and journalism
• Data analysis knowledge and experience – ideally including multivariate analysis and segmentation experience
• Strong and varied research background, with the ability to distil complex information into simple and actionable recommendations
• Experience of working closely with a production team in applying research findings to media formats and outputs
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
• Analytical thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts to explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
• Decision making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
• Planning and organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
• Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Influencing and persuading – Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
• Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
• Self-development – Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
The Tanzania Tourist Board (TTB) is a Government organization established under the Tanzania Tourist Board Act, CAP 364, and R.E. 2002 of the Laws of Tanzania. The main functions of the Board include the promotion of Destination Tanzania, encouraging tourism development, and fostering an understanding within Tanzania of the importance and economic benefits of the tourism industry. The Board as an equal opportunity employer is looking for suitably qualified Tanzanian Citizens to fill the following vacancy:-
1) SENIOR MARKETING OFFICER (1 POSTS)
Holder of Degree in Business Administration, Marketing and Tourism Management from recognized University/Institution with at least 6 years of proven experience in performing similar duties. Those with post graduate qualifications will have added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(i) To implement the Marketing strategy to promote all aspect of tourism;
(ii) To carry out direct marketing activities in accordance with budgets;
(iii) To manage specific promotional activities which are in accordance with the agreed business plan;
(iv) To maintain knowledge of relevant tourism developments and procedures for each market segment;
(v) To implement the Board’s e-communication and e-relationship marketing activities;
(vi) To organize and lead promotional campaigns for market penetration;
(vii) To provide progress inputs of marketing activities.
(viii) To identify as recommended to the Market Manager, the most cost effective activity for promoting Tanzania;
(ix) To prepare and disseminate correct information on Tanzania tourism to the tourist and other stakeholders;
(x) To perform any other duties as shall be assigned from time to time by the Superior;
A competitive remuneration package commensurate with experiences and qualifications will be provided which is within Tanzania Tourist Board salary scale (TTBS)
NB: GENERAL CONDITIONS
i) All applicants must be Citizens of Tanzania and not above 45 years old;
ii) All applicants must attach an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) showing reliable contact (postal address, e-mail address and telephone numbers);
iii) Applicants must attach their detailed relevant certified copies of Academic Certificates:
• Postgraduate/ Degree/Advance Diploma/Diploma Certificates;
• Postgraduate/Degree/Advance Diploma/Diploma Transcripts;
• Form IV and VI National Examination Certificates;
• Computer Certificate;
• One recent passport size picture and birth certificate.
Note that, Testimonials, Partial Transcript and Result Slips will not be accepted.
iv) Presentation of any forged documents and any other informations in the CV will Necessitate legal action;
v) Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable Contacts details;
vi) Academic Certificates from foreign bodies for Ordinary Level Education should be certified by The National Examination Council of Tanzania (NECTA);
vii) Applicants for senior posts currently employed in the Public Service should rout their application letters through their respective employer;
viii) Applicants for entry position currently employed in the Public Service should not apply; they have to comply with Government Circular No. CAC.45/257/01/D/140 dated on 30th November, 2010;
ix) Academic Certificates from foreign Universities/Institutions should be verified by The Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU);
x) Only short listed applicants will be informed on a date for interview;
xi) Deadline for application is 14th January, 2015
xii) Application letters (sealed) should be posted to the following address:-
The Managing Director,
Tanzania Tourist Board,
Samora Avenue / Azikiwe Streat,
IPS Building, Third Floor,
P. O. Box 2485,
DAR ES SALAAM.
NB: HAND DELIVERY IS NOT ACCEPTED.