Date: 22 to 27 December 2014
Young people who are interested in civil society, debate and public policy are invited to apply for a place at the Regional Youth Forum as part of a team representing the university or youth organization they are associated with in their country of residence.
In the first phase of the program, selected teams from each country will attend a debate and public policy training session in their country of residence. Following this training session the teams will draft a policy brief on an issue of their choice that affects youth in the region, as preparation for the main RYF event in Tunisia (22 to 27 December). The RYF is composed of a debate competition and a policy competition, in addition to workshops and a public panel. It is organized into two language tracks: Arabic and English.
The teams in each language track will compete for two titles: ‘best debating team’ and ‘best public policy proposal’. Regional and international experts on debate techniques and policy drafting will work with the participating teams and engage with them on relevant discussions and issues.
General application guidelines (find more details in the FAQs):
· Participation in the event is open to local teams affiliated with universities, debate societies or youth organizations in the MENA region: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestinian territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
· Teams should be composed of five students (currently enrolled in a full-time program) or students who have recently graduated (less than one year after graduation at the time of application) across disciplines.
· The minimum age requirement is 18; the maximum 28.
· Each team applying will need to fill the online questions and upload 2 filled documents:
– a short essay on an issue of relevance to the Forum
· Each team should nominate a Team Coordinator
· IDEA MENA’s selection criteria include active civic engagement of team members, leadership potential, debate experience, team diversity, and a thoughtful and creative essay piece.
· The deadline to apply is October 2nd 2014.
· IDEA MENA will take into consideration the capacity of the team’s affiliated institution to host a local training event during the first phase of the Forum.
· Participants should be strongly motivated to contribute to the Regional Youth Forum and be able to participate during the first training phase and for the full duration of the Forum.